Jerusalem Artichoke, Apple and Tarragon Recipe
- 200g/7oz spelt grains
- 200g/7oz Jerusalem artichokes
- 2 slices of lemon
- 200g/7oz apples (a sharp, crisp variety)
- 1 tbsp tarragon leaves
For the walnut pesto:
- 50g/1¾ oz walnuts
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 100ml/½ cup walnut oil
- 1 tsp honey
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Rinse the spelt in cold water, drain, then boil in fresh water with a little salt for about 20 minutes, or until cooked and tender, but still with a bit of a bite. Drain and cool to room temperature.
2. Peel the Jerusalem artichokes and cut into thin slices, adding them to a bowl of water with the lemon slices added, so they don’t turn brown. Add all the ingredients for the walnut pesto to a food processor and blend into a paste.
3. Core the apple and cut it into slices. Mix them with the other salad ingredients and season to taste with salt and pepper. Toss with the pesto and serve.
Recipes taken from Scandinavian Comfort Food by Trine Hahnemann (Quadrille £25)
Photography: Columbus Leth
Read more recipes from Your Healthy Living...
Read the Your Food articles archive here...